1. Collapse Details
    New car incoming - my plans
    Junior Member Detail Paradise Member
    Question
    Hey guys, relatively new to car detailing here – just wanted to post my detailing intentions for when my new car arrives (Skoda Octavia Wagon in Race Blue). Will also apply these to my bike (Triumph Street Triple R in White) and probably use my Getz to practice on! The car will be garaged when at home but will spend its time at work outside in a fairly windy and dusty area.
    Basically my plan was:
    1. 2BM Wash using Paint Pampering Body Shampoo from Final Inspection
    2. Decon - I have a very old clay bar here, so I have to either get a new clay bar or was thinking about grabbing one of the ZAS Surface Prep Towels and using it with Mint Clay Lube? NB: will break in on windows first. Any feedback on these clay towels?
    3. Polish - I have Autoglym Super Resin Polish here, guessing this will be fine for a new car? I have some green and black pads for my DAS-6 here too (4” and 6”). I’m guessing I shouldn’t need anything more abrasive for a new car.
    4. Clean with diluted Mint APC
    5. Apply Gyeon Q2 Prep
    6. Apply Gyeon Q2 Cancoat
    I have Geon Q2 View for windows, and for interior I was thinking diluted APC for cleaning and then 303 Aerospace. I was going to do the seats with Gyeon Fabric Coat too.

I grabbed the $100 microfibre pack from carcareproducts (and I have a bunch of MF from Final Inspection purchased years ago). I'm looking at Wheel Woolies from ZAS website too.

A little off-topic but I have also been looking at tinting: specifically the UltraGard Fusion Nano-Ceramic vs the more expensive 3M Crystalline. Just waiting on a few more quotes but looks like the 3M is almost double the UltraGard Fusion. Does anyone have any experience with these tints?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Prickles; 20-06-2017 at 12:10 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Whilst i'm not a professional detailer, the view i've long had is "don't do something that isn't needed to be done" - Does the car need to be polished?

Secondly, autoglym SRP is a polymer-based light polish with lots of oils/fillers in it, all of which will be stripped off when using Q2 Prep. Given that you're planning on using Cancoat(which is Silicon Dioxide-based), all polymer-based waxes/sealants/oils/etc must be cleaned off so using Prep is essential. Using SRP just as a very light polish should be perfectly fine, just don't skip the Prep stage

Also bear in mind that some of the Gyeon products don't always play nicely with polymer-based systems(dodo juice, Ammo, Meguiars, Autoglym etc), and if you're using Cancoat you'll want to use the Q2 Bathe+ wash to help extend the life of the Cancoat. Also, you probably won't want to use Bathe+ on cars that use polymer-based products(tho using Bathe, not Bathe+, would be fine. Conversly, using Bathe on a car that has Cancoat wouldn't be beneficial to the Cancoat).

Sorry if i'm preaching to the converted, I've been researching the Gyeon range for a few weeks now as i'm about to go the Cancoat or MOHS route myself once i've polished my car
    Last edited by aetb; 19-06-2017 at 02:48 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aetb View Post
    Whilst i'm not a professional detailer, the view i've long had is "don't do something that isn't needed to be done" - Does the car need to be polished?
    That's a very good question - something I'll need to check out and make a decision on when I get the car

Quote Originally Posted by aetb View Post
    Secondly, autoglym SRP is a polymer-based light polish with lots of oils/fillers in it, all of which will be stripped off when using Q2 Prep. Given that you're planning on using Cancoat(which is Silicon Dioxide-based), all polymer-based waxes/sealants/oils/etc must be cleaned off so using Prep is essential. Using SRP just as a very light polish should be perfectly fine, just don't skip the Prep stage

Also bear in mind that some of the Gyeon products don't always play nicely with polymer-based systems(dodo juice, Ammo, Meguiars, Autoglym etc), and if you're using Cancoat you'll want to use the Q2 Bathe+ wash to help extend the life of the Cancoat. Also, you probably won't want to use Bathe+ on cars that use polymer-based products(tho using Bathe, not Bathe+, would be fine. Conversly, using Bathe on a car that has Cancoat wouldn't be beneficial to the Cancoat).

Sorry if i'm preaching to the converted, I've been researching the Gyeon range for a few weeks now as i'm about to go the Cancoat or MOHS route myself once i've polished my car
    Thanks for the rest of the information - makes sense.

4. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict
    For the interior, always always always try and use as little chemical cleaner as possible. For a new car like yours this will mean a microfibre dampened with warm water and followed by a dry microfibre.
    The 303 will then bond better with the vinyl and plastic in the absence of detergent residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information