1. Collapse Details
    Dust attracted to car like magnet, quite annoying...
    Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict
    Hi guys,

I'm detailing my car (outside) but I'm having trouble with dust, both from the polish and outside dust (mostly polish I think), getting stuck on the car as I'm working. I'm getting better at managing the dusting, cleaning more frequent, and not working it as hard, but seems to be a challenge to not have any dusting at all.
    It's like it's statically charged, and as I wipe it away (even with some QD), it shifts around or it comes back.

Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce dust getting stuck to the car? I'm wanting to apply some HD POXY tomorrow, but don't think I can if there's contaminants sitting there.
    Last edited by Widget; 18-05-2017 at 05:06 AM.

2. Collapse Details

I find a lot of waxes make dust stick to my paint like what you are discribing.

I have no resolultion apart from more washes! Or don't use wax, just sealants/coatings (but they don't look as snazzy )

3. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict EG30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Widget View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm detailing my car (outside) but I'm having trouble with dust, both from the polish and outside dust (mostly polish I think), getting stuck on the car as I'm working. I'm getting better at managing the dusting, cleaning more frequent, and not working it as hard, but seems to be a challenge to not have any dusting at all.
    It's like it's statically charged, and as I wipe it away (even with some QD), it shifts around or it comes back.

Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce dust getting stuck to the car? I'm wanting to apply some HD POXY tomorrow, but don't think I can if there's contaminants sitting there.
    It's more of a case of dust adhering to the waxed surface well rather than making the car attract more dust.

I found Opti-Seal quite incredible in terms of resistance to dust adhesion. I have a car that was topped with Opti-seal which sits outside 24/7 outside my home driveway with plenty of wind blown sand around. The car has been there for over 2 mths now without any movement and very little dust stick to it and water runs off well too. After rain the car looks 80% clean already on the horizontal surfaces and vertical surfaces look like they have just been washed.

The shine of Opti-seal lacks the depth of the others and the slickness lacks the bling of most other sealants, water beading characteristics aren't glamorous nor tight but the way it sheds dirt and water I'm really impressed with for an economical and honest product.

POXY will make dust adhere quite well indeed.

4. Collapse Details

Thanks guy . So far though, I haven't applied any waxes or sealants, just the correction stage so far. Every now and then the pads would dust, then stick. Usually ave to just wipe off with MF and QD, but always comes back :/ .

Any tips on applying POXY while reducing the chance of sealing in dust? Would hate to have white specs sealed onto the paint :/

5. Collapse Details

Thanks guy . So far though, I haven't applied any waxes or sealants, just the correction stage so far. Every now and then the pads would dust, then stick. Usually ave to just wipe off with MF and QD, but always comes back :/ .

Any tips on applying POXY while reducing the chance of sealing in dust? Would hate to have white specs sealed onto the paint :/
    Work fast >=D

I doubt you will seal in dust. If you are really worried maybe do a quick IPA wipe then wait a minute then apply poxy to that panel, doing one panel at a time.

6. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict EG30's Avatar

Now I see what you meant, I failed to read your original post properly and skimmed thru the last paragraph.

What type of car and colour is it? And what compound+pad and buffer have you been using?

Don't add QD on the panel prior to buffing, as the added slickness of the QD left behind will counteract the cutting action of the polishing compound and would gum up the pad to an extent.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by EG30 View Post
    Now I see what you meant, I failed to read your original post properly and skimmed thru the last paragraph.

What type of car and colour is it? And what compound+pad and buffer have you been using?

Don't add QD on the panel prior to buffing, as the added slickness of the QD left behind will counteract the cutting action of the polishing compound and would gum up the pad to an extent.
    Hey EG30, terribly sorry for late reply.

Car is HONDA Nighthawk Black. Compound is Megs UC, and a little of HD Polish (had trouble with it so switched back to Megs UC+white polish pad). Buffer is the Concours 900

I ended up cleaning it up, then quickly applying POXY... seems 'ok' for the most part, though sitting outside, does get dirty (maintaining stage until sold)

Next car will be a Metallic Green Nissan Pulsar (mums car).

Thread Information