Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Review- Kamikaze Overcoat
    Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict gammachan's Avatar
    Managed to get some a little bit back so thought I might post up my experience. Heard about it in the pipeline and had the opportunity to try some so thought why not.

What is it?

OVER COAT is designed to be (easily) applied over the durable base layer coating…which could be ISM COAT, MIYABI COAT, and other brands of glass, ceramic, or polymer coatings. OVER COAT will take the abuse of the elements, while protecting the under layer. And since it’s so easy to apply and work with, you can quickly maintain your coated vehicle every month or two (durability however is listed as 3-6 months).

Besides being very easy to apply (wet or dry!), OVER COAT has some of the most insane hydrophobic / water beading properties available! It can be used on paint, glass, plastic trim, or rims.

The water based formula is non-solvent, VOC free, non-wax, non-PTFE, and non-polymer. A truly unique product indeed.

The special formulation of hard resin and Siloxane can also perform light filling and cover small swirls or haze in the paint for those who haven’t had their paint perfectly polished.

So given the fact that OVER COAT can be applied wet or dry (easy use like a quick detailer), it is designed as a sacrificial layer for ALL types of coatings, can be used on most areas of the car, is capable of light defect filling, and has crazy water beading characteristics…this will easily be the #1 seller in the Kamikaze line!

APPLICATION:

OVER COAT can be applied in a variety of ways, and without much effort at all. When drying the vehicle, either mist a few sprays directly onto the panel and dry as normal, or spray onto your waffle weave drying towel. You will quickly notice a slickness to the finish while drying.

If you choose to dry the vehicle first, then apply in a similar manner. On a dry car it is preferred to spray OVER COAT into your plush microfiber towel, then gently buff into the surface. A little bit goes a long way, and the 100ml bottle is capable of coating 8-10 cars!

The by-hand application can be done on either coated, or non-coated vehicles.

And for an advanced method (ONLY on non-coated cars), you can apply OVER COAT by machine using a soft finishing pad, and slow machine speed. This application method will increase durability, and will do a better job of filling in fine hairline defects.

If you do find any light water spotting on a vehicle topped with OVER COAT, just use the WATER SPOT REMOVER by KAMIKAZE, and then re-apply a fresh coat of OVER COAT on the affected areas…quite simple!

OVER COAT by KAMIKAZE is the easiest way to protect your coated vehicle, and it serves as a great maintenance program to get the most out of your coating’s durability and gloss. And if you like extreme hydrophobic / water beading properties, you’ll be hard pressed to find anything as good and easy to use.

I did a few tests with the Kamikaze Overcoat from straight application, to wet application and even gave the advanced method a go.

First impressions just holding the aluminum Kamikaze bottle is that it gives of a premium feel much akin to a high end cosmetics packaging.

First test I did was using a test bonnet that I have at home I was keen to test out its light filling abilities so tried it against some wax and another sealant.

Taped up and ready to go

Overcoat

Panel was left uncorrected just given a clean and IPA wiped own to observe the results.

This pics shows the original swirling present sorry I am still bad at taking these shots

The next few pics show the results following the application of the various types of protection

Overcoat

Wax

Other sealant

Although it's hard to see I would prob rank in order for filling and darkening ability as
    1. Overcoat
    2. Other sealant
    3. Wax

Here's a bad vid of water behavior on the test panel

Here's an actual vid from Kamikaze

Next up dry application as shown in the video and same as any other sealant spray on buff and wipe off with a suitable MF.

Application was easy and the glided over the paintwork nicely no streaking was noticed and gave nice gloss and crisp reflection.

Next I tried the wet application method on my car as it has incurred wash marring and additional spiderwebbing following its hail damage repair session from its trip to the PDR shop. Decided to use Overcoat in the interim before I have time to correct and recoat the car again

Car was foamed then washed using 2BM then rinsed before applying Overcoat panel by panel while drying and here are the results.

Beading

2 weeks post no wash

Rewashed beading back to norm

Quick YouTube vid showing its application and characteristics

http://youtu.be/rQBEpP9XgCU

Lastly I did a quick test of the advanced method using machine application. Test panel prepped and taped. Overcoat was applied using black 3" CCS on a DAS6 Pro on speed 1.

Overall machine application did well filling a majority of swirls.

Overcoat is a versatile product which can be used as a sacrificial layer on top of other products or stand alone. Easy to apply. It's also good to remember that the Kamikaze products are Pro Level products released for consumer use.
    Last edited by gammachan; 16-03-2015 at 01:19 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Moderator Detail Paradise Addict LIBERTYRX1's Avatar
    all i can say is I cant wait Dan. great review Jay
    The thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, early in the morning or late at night. The thing you read about, write about, think about, fantasize about. that thing you do alone and theres no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. Thats it, thats your thing, thats your heart , your guide, Thats the thing you must, must do.

3. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict John MKIV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LIBERTYRX1 View Post
    x2
    Looks like a great product line. Thanks for sharing! I Spy a GTS. Hehe

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LIBERTYRX1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John MKIV View Post
    x2
    Looks like a great product line. Thanks for sharing! I Spy a GTS. Hehe
    Thanks boys and John you would be correct

5. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict Ryan101's Avatar
    Awesome, thank you application by machine looks the goods

6. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict
    Great review, thanks.

7. Collapse Details

BobsRX8GT
    Well done mate. Great detail

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan101 View Post
    Awesome, thank you application by machine looks the goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoateallthepies View Post
    Great review, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsRX8GT View Post
    Well done mate. Great detail
    Cheers fellas glad you are enjoying the review

9. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict bluering's Avatar
    Yum ....looks good to me....
    Thanks for the review. .
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin

Relax......... I'm from the internet!

10. Collapse Details

Senior Member Detail Paradise Addict Kurt's Avatar
    Amazing product also works excellent on the windows especially the front windscreen! Testing out the longevity of it.

Thread Information